BJP seeks ban on Khurshid`s campaign
New Delhi: BJP Saturday moved the Election
Commission seeking a ban on Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s campaigning in Uttar Pradesh in view of his alleged defiance of the poll body`s censure for remarks sub-quota for
"If left unchecked, these postures will undermine the
legitimacy of the Election Commission of India and its
constitutional obligation for providing free and fair
"Lest the model code of conduct becomes a toothless
wonder, there is dire need for the ECI to impose sanctions
more stringent than mere censure. It is now more than apparent
that the Law minister will continue undaunted to seek votes on
the basis of religion--a practice abhorred by the Commission
It is, therefore, necessary in the fitness of things to keep
him away from the scene of elections," said the BJP complaint
against Khurshid to the Election Commission.
Citing its earlier orders in banning cabinet ministers
from campaigning in Lalu Prasad Yadav`s constituency in Bihar
elections, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who sent the fresh
complaint to the EC, said "this is a fit case where the
ECI could consider imposing a ban on Shri Khurshid entering
the state of Uttar Pradesh during the poll process. District
Magistrates do pass such orders in the interest of maintenance
of law and order."
Naqvi, in his complaint, added, "ECI may also like to
report the whole matter to the Prime Minister for suitable
disciplinary action against the Law Minister for undermining
the authority of the Commission during the crucial period of a
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!