BJP top brass meets to discuss Obama
New Delhi: The BJP top brass met on Sunday to
discuss the ongoing visit of US President Barack Obama but did
not come out with any statement on his remarks about tackling
"Since guest is like god (atithi devo bhava), we will
not come out with a statement till Obama is in India," a
senior party leader said.
Contrary to expectations that it would calibrate the
remarks of one of its spokespersons, Rajiv Pratap Rudy,
expressing disappointment over Obama making no reference to
Pakistan in his first speech at Mumbai yesterday, the BJP
chose to remain silent.
Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj, her counterpart in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley,
senior leaders Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha and M M Joshi
were among the prominent persons who met at the residence of
BJP Parliamentary Party Chairman L K Advani.
In the two-hour meeting, the party leaders firmed up
BJP`s stand when Swaraj calls on the US President here
Sources said Swaraj is likely to raise the issue of
terrorism emanating from Pakistan, the US` "protectionist"
attitude towards India and other Third World countries,
concerns over outsourcing and difficulties being faced by
Indian techies in getting US visas.
Yesterday, Rudy had expressed "complete
disappointment" over Obama making no mention of Pakistan while
speaking at the Taj hotel in Mumbai, one of the main targets
of the terrorists on November 26, 2008.
"The Prime Minister and the Indian diplomats will have
to answer a lot to the people of India as it seems that New
Delhi is providing a political bail out to Obama following a
poor show by the Democrats in the recently held elections in
US," Rudy said.
A BJP leader said, "we will only come out with BJP`s
stand after Obama departs from India...he is expected to make
statements in Delhi and only after analysing his visit, we
will come out with a response".
While Advani and Jaitley have been invited to the
dinner hosted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his official
residence, Swaraj would attend the banquet at Rashtrapati
BJP President Nitin Gadkari, his predecessor Rajnath
Singh and senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu did not attend the
meeting though the party had officially said that they would
be part of the deliberations.
BJP Deputy Leader in the Rajya Sabha S S Ahluwalia and
general secretary Ananth Kumar also attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her