Blackpool rout Wigan in Premiership opener
London: Blackpool marked their first top-flight match in 39 years with a surprise 4-0 win away to north-west rivals Wigan on the opening day of the new English Premier League season on Saturday.
Ian Holloway`s team, promoted via the playoffs, have been widely tipped to go straight back down, but the Tangerines were 3-0 up before half-time, with former Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood scoring twice.
They were in front as early as the 16th minute at Wigan`s DW Stadium when Charlie Adam played in Harewood, whose cross was tapped in by Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
Harewood then held off Antolin Alcaraz, before beating Chris Kirkland from more than 20 yards for his first Premier League goal in two-and-a-half-years.
Two minutes before the break, Harewood tapped in after Elliot Grandin`s shot was parried.
Then, 15 minutes before full-time, Alex Baptiste made it 4-0 when his cross beat Kirkland at the goalkeeper`s near post.
"I don`t think any of us in our wildest, wildest dreams imagined we could come here and do something like that," said Holloway. "I`m so proud of the lads and the work ethic they showed."
Aston Villa showed there was life after Martin O`Neill with a 3-0 win at home to West Ham just days after their former manager`s resignation.
England goalkeeper Robert Green, playing his first senior match since his World Cup blunder, helped give Villa a 15th minute lead.
His poor punch led to a Marc Albrighton shot and, although Green palmed it away, Stewart Downing scored from the rebound.
Villa made it 2-0 when Stiliyan Petrov headed in five minutes before half-time.
And in what could be a parting gift to Villa fans, before his possible transfer to Manchester City, England midfielder James Milner made it 3-0 after shooting powerfully from Albrighton`s cut back in the 66th minute.
In Saturday`s early kick-off England goalkeeper Joe Hart -- chosen by Roberto Mancini ahead of Shay Given -- produced several fine saves to help big-spenders Manchester City secure a point in a goalless draw at Tottehnham.
But Everton`s United States goalkeeper Tim Howard gifted hosts Blackburn a 14th minute winner in a 1-0 victory when he somehow dropped a cross into the path of Nikola Kalinic, who duly scored.
Birmingham came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 against 10-man Sunderland.
Darren Bent opened the scoring for hosts Sunderland with a 24th minute penalty, after Frazier Campbell was brought down by Steve Carr, although it looked as if the foul had taken place outside the box.
But two minutes before the break, Sunderland captain Lee Cattermole became the first player sent-off in the Premier League this season after collecting two yellow cards.
Sunderland still went 2-0 up when Carr looped a header into his own net, trying to clear a cross under pressure from Campbell.
Birmingham hit back 13 minutes from time through Scott Dann`s header -- the defender`s first Premier League goal -- and were level when Liam Ridgewell turned in Sebastian Larsson`s cross.
Wolves beat Stoke 2-1 after Kenwyne Jones, Stoke`s club record eight million signing, limped off injured after just 14 minutes at Molineux.
The hosts scored twice in two minutes late in the first half, going ahead through a 20-yard strike from David Jones before Steven Fletcher headed in at the back post.
But Stoke scored early in the second half through Abdoulaye Faye`s header.
Bolton and Fulham shared the points in a goalless draw.
Defending champions Chelsea play promoted West Brom in Saturday`s late kick-off and Liverpool welcome Arsenal to Anfield on Sunday.
Meanwhile Manchester United, last season`s runners-up, face Championship winners Newcastle at Old Trafford on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced