Blair applauds Delhi for C`wealth bid
London, July 07: Hailing New Delhi`s successful bid to host the 2010 Commonwealth Games, British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said that sports brings people from different walks of life together.
Blair made the remarks while welcoming India`s Sports Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar at the Trafalgar Square where the first anniversary of London winning its bid to host the 2012 Olympics was celebrated on Thursday.
Also present on the occasion were Tessa Jowel, Britain`s culture secretary, and Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London.
Aiyar who visited Manchester City on Tuesday had a first hand glimpse of the facilities made available for the 2002 Games. He also met Commonwealth Games Federation president Mike Fennell and Sebastian Coe, chairman of the organising committee of the London Olympics 2012.
Trafalgar Square - the centre of the 2005 celebrations - was again the scene of a party yesterday. There was song, there was dance, there were dignitaries - but mostly there was sport.
Hundreds of schoolchildren had the chance to try their hand at fencing, cycling, basketball, rowing and sprinting - with Nelson`s Column towering overhead.
The party also kicked off a series of summer celebrations, which will see 150 sports events take place in London.
And a double-decker roadshow bus set off on a 4,800 km journey around the country - aiming to get the rest of the UK onboard. "Be part of it, 2012" was the slogan, while the emphasis was to inspire young people to get involved in sport
- not just watch it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA