Blair applauds Delhi for C`wealth bid
London, July 07: Hailing New Delhi`s successful bid to host the 2010 Commonwealth Games, British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said that sports brings people from different walks of life together.
Blair made the remarks while welcoming India`s Sports Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar at the Trafalgar Square where the first anniversary of London winning its bid to host the 2012 Olympics was celebrated on Thursday.
Also present on the occasion were Tessa Jowel, Britain`s culture secretary, and Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London.
Aiyar who visited Manchester City on Tuesday had a first hand glimpse of the facilities made available for the 2002 Games. He also met Commonwealth Games Federation president Mike Fennell and Sebastian Coe, chairman of the organising committee of the London Olympics 2012.
Trafalgar Square - the centre of the 2005 celebrations - was again the scene of a party yesterday. There was song, there was dance, there were dignitaries - but mostly there was sport.
Hundreds of schoolchildren had the chance to try their hand at fencing, cycling, basketball, rowing and sprinting - with Nelson`s Column towering overhead.
The party also kicked off a series of summer celebrations, which will see 150 sports events take place in London.
And a double-decker roadshow bus set off on a 4,800 km journey around the country - aiming to get the rest of the UK onboard. "Be part of it, 2012" was the slogan, while the emphasis was to inspire young people to get involved in sport
- not just watch it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!