BoA knew of Merrill losses in November: Report
New York: Bank of America Corp was aware of losses at Merrill Lynch & Co more than a month before it went to US regulators for help completing its takeover of the firm, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday, citing documents provided to congressional investigators.
Congress and various regulators have accused Bank of America of failing to adequately disclose various details about the Merrill merger to investors. These included the USD 3.6 billion of bonuses it let Merrill pay, even as that company was on its way to a USD 15.8 billion fourth-quarter loss.
According to the Bloomberg report, Bank of America Chief Accounting Officer Neil Cotty sent an email to Chief Financial Officer Joe Price on November 5 that included Merrill`s October financial report. The email included estimated markdowns and "other larger items" of USD 5.3 billion, Bloomberg reported.
Bank of America turned over the documents to federal regulators and a House of Representatives oversight committee after waiving attorney-client privilege earlier this month.
The bank did not tell regulators that the takeover was troubled until mid-December and did not disclose the losses to shareholders before their December 5 vote on the Merrill Deal.
Bank of America announced its USD 50 billion buyout of Merrill in September 2008 at the height of the financial crisis. The bank could not be reached for comment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference