Boasson-Hagen hands Norway fourth Tour stage win
Pinerolo, Italy: Edvald Boasson-Hagen, one of only two Norwegian riders at the start, snatched a fourth Tour de France stage victory for his country when he won the 179-km 17th stage from Gap on Wednesday.
Following his success in the sixth stage in Lisieux, and fellow countryman Thor Hushovd`s trailblazing rides during stages 13 and 16, Boasson-Hagen made sure Norway enjoyed another day of celebration thanks to his astute tactics.
The 24-year-old took part in the decisive 14-man breakaway and went on his own in the climb overlooking Pinerolo to cross the line first. Wednesday`s ride helped to heal some sore wounds for Boasson-Hagen as he had been beaten on the line by Hushovd just 24 hours earlier.
Dutchman Bauke Mollema was second, 40 seconds behind, and Frenchman Sandy Casar finished third, 50 seconds adrift.
"It`s a great day, I really wanted to win this stage after finishing second yesterday, which was very frustrating," said Team Sky rider Boasson-Hagen.
France`s Thomas Voeckler retained the Tour leader`s yellow jersey but lost 27 seconds in the tricky descent toward the finish line when he missed a turn and ended up in a private car park.
Overall, Voeckler now leads Australia`s Cadel Evans by one minute and 18 seconds and Luxembourg`s Frank Schleck by 1:22.
Three-times Tour champion Alberto Contador again confirmed he was back in great shape after his attacks in the previous stage when he broke from the favorites peloton in the descent with compatriot Samuel Sanchez.
The two Spaniards held a 20-second lead over the other Tour contenders before being reeled in the final stretch.
Thursday`s 200.5-kms 18th stage to the Galibier is expected to be one of the most demanding in this Tour, with three classic ascents, Col d`Agnel, Izoard and the final climb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'