Bolt will bypass Jamaica athletics meet
Kingston: World and Olympic double sprint champion and world record-holder Usain Bolt will not compete in this weekend`s Jamaican National Track and Field Championships.
Ludlow Watts, Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) treasurer and chairman of the meet organizing committee, said that Bolt is not down to run in the meet.
"He is not entered," Watts told a Jamaican television station.
Bolt`s manager had issued a statement saying that the superstar sprinter`s next meet would be in Paris on July 8, but many athletics fans believed Bolt might make an appearance at his homeland`s national meet.
Bolt won both 100m and 200m titles in world-record runs, 9.58 seconds in the 100 and 19.19 seconds in the 200, at the last IAAF World Championships staged two years ago in Berlin.
Because the world governing body gives wild-card entries to defending champions, Bolt has no need to run in the Jamaican meet to book his place on the Jamaican team competing in this year`s World championships in South Korea starting August 27.
Jamaica does not have a rule requiring world team members to have run in the national meet like the United States, whose top sprinters were humbled by Bolt in world and Olympic showdowns.
Howard Aris, the JAAA president, said earlier this month that since IAAF rules allow world championships a chance to defend their crowns, "Jamaica`s athletes who are defending titles fit in that category, so automatically they are eligible to compete at the next World Championships."
While Bolt`s record-setting speed will not be on display, the Jamaican meet will serve as the world team trials for other athletes and the sprints are expected to bring the most excitement.
The men’s 100m dash sees three world spots available for a field with seven Jamaicans with times below 10 seconds this year -- Steve Mullings (a 9.80 personal best), Nesta Carter (9.92), Asafa Powell (9.93), Michael Frater (9.94 personal best), Yohan Blake (9.95) and Nickel Ashmeade (9.96).
Add to that Mario Forsythe and Lerone Clarke, who both achieved sub-10 in 2010, and newcomers Dexter Lee (10.09) and Jacques Harvey (10.09) plus defending champion Oshane Bailey at 10.11.
On the women’s side, it remains unclear if World and Olympic 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce will run.
Veronica Campbell-Brown, Kerron Stewart and Sherone Simpson will add some punch to the women’s sprints.
Melaine Walker faces Kaliese Spencer in the women’s 400m hurdles while Novlene Williams-Mills and Shericka Williams are set for a women`s 400m showdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow