Bolt will consider long jump or 400 after London Games
London: Jamaican triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt could compete in the long jump or over 400 metres at the 2013 Moscow world championships, the sprinter told Reuters on Tuesday.
In a telephone interview from Jamaica, Bolt said he was aiming to emulate American Carl Lewis by successfully defending his Olympic 100 metres title at the 2012 London Games.
He said if he completed the 100-200 double again he would then look to try new events, some years earlier than he has previously indicated.
"My aim is to defend both of my titles, I have to focus on those first and then after London, I will decide if I will try either of those events," said Bolt, who is resting at home after cutting his season short to recover from a back injury.
"I really think I will be a good long jumper, that`s what I think, I don`t know what my coach will think, maybe he`ll say try 400 metres."
Bolt`s coach Glen Mills and many other Jamaicans, have long felt that the man who smashed the 100 and 200 metres world records in Beijing two years ago, would make an outstanding 400 meters runner.
"A lot of people think I will be a really good 400 metres runner and if he says let`s try maybe I will try and see what happens. I will listen to my coach because he has been my inspiration throughout all these years," Bolt said.
Bolt, who on Tuesday announced a new sponsorship deal with Puma, was more enthusiastic, however, when talking about the long jump.
As a school kid growing up in the parish of Trelawney on Jamaica`s North West coast, Bolt first got a taste of the long jump, one of the many sporting activities, including cricket and football that he took part in.
But it was a casual jump during a warmup at an event in the Czech Republic two years ago that gave Bolt the taste for the event.
"I did long jump in (school) sports day but it wasn`t anything serious, I went Ostrava one year and I tried it out and jumped quite a distance, in my tracksuit. I decided. I`d like to try this before retiring, at the end of my career," he said.
Last year Mike Powell, holder of the world long jump record which he set in 1991, said Bolt could break that record of 8.95 metres.
In the more immediate future though, Bolt is focused on getting back in shape -- he returns to training in Kingston on Oct. 4 -- for next year`s world championships.
Prior to taking his break, Bolt was beaten by American rival Tyson Gay in a Diamond League event in Stockholm and he is keen to avenge that loss next season.
"I never like to lose but I knew that I wasn`t in the best of shape this season. I didn`t train as hard so it wasn`t something that impacted me that badly.”
"But I know that it`s a loss. It makes the sport more exciting now because I know that the next time and Tyson line up it is going to be really big clash and I am looking forward to it.”
"Definitely it will (be a different story) -- he knows that and I know that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon