Bopanna-Qureshi upstaged in semifinals
Indian Wells: The Indo-Pak express of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi suffered an upset defeat at the hands of Belgian Xavier Malisse and Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov in the men`s doubles semifinals to bow out of the BNP Paribas ATP Tour 1000 tournament.
There was not much difference between the two sides but the Ukrainian-Belgian pair managed to win 6-3, 3-6 (8-10).
The 15th ranked Indo-Pak duo, who had a successful tournament, beating World No 2 duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi in the second round before getting the better of the Serbian pair of Novak Djokovic and Viktor Troicki in the quarterfinals, failed to live up to their reputation at the crucial juncture of the match yesterday.
Starting on a positive note, the Indo-Pak pair raced away with the opening set quite comfortably, winning it 6-3.
But Malisse and Dolgopolov, who had earlier caused a major upset by beating top seeds Mike and Bob Bryan in the quarterfinals, came back hard to bag the second set.
The issue was settled in the tie breaker in which the Ukrainian-Belgian duo held their nerves to emerge triumphant.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents