Both Sri Lankan govt, LTTE committed ‘human rights abuses’: WikiLeaks
Colombo: Secret US diplomatic cables released by the whistleblower website Wikileaks have revealed that both the Sri Lankan government and the defeated Tamil Tigers had committed human rights abuses, and that the state had secretly carried out paramilitary activities including killings, child trafficking and organised prostitution during the war that ended in 2009.
According to the BBC, the cables dating from 2007 suggest that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) used systematic forced conscription during the war to recruit Tamil civilians to its forces.
Both the Tamil Tigers and Sri Lanka`s government have long faced accusations by human rights groups of committing abuses during the 26-year conflict.
The cables also said that the government was supporting extra-judicial behaviour by pro-government Tamil paramilitaries, led by men who are now ministers. They further claimed that one paramilitary was believed to be trafficking boys as workers and girls as prostitutes.
The BBC quoted one of the ministers allegedly involved in the crime, as saying the allegations were completely false.
"We are not involved in trafficking or extortions," he added.
The cables have also accused pro-government paramilitaries and the Tigers of extorting money or food.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves