Boxing: Mary Kom in Asian C`ship quarterfinals
New Delhi: Four-time world champion M C Mary Kom stormed into the quarterfinals with a thumping first-round triumph on an all-win day for the Indians at the fifth Asian Women`s Boxing Championships in Astana, Kazakhstan.
Mary Kom, a Khel Ratna awardee, defeated Filipino Josie Gabeuco 8-1 in a lopsided bout to enter the pin weight (46kg) category quarterfinals.
The other Indian in action yesterday, Venlal Duati (48kg) was even more dominant as she out-classed Kyrgyzstan`s Rahatova Nazira in just over a minute to march ahead.
The Manipuri was leading 9-0 when the referee awarded the bout to her. Duati too is into the quarterfinals now.
Mary Kom, who won a silver in the previous edition of the event in Guwahati, said it was not too tough a bout to start with.
"It wasn`t very difficult. I have got a good draw, it shouldn`t be too tough but then, I am not taking anybody lightly either. Upsets happen, it`s an unpredictable sport but I am confident about myself," Mary Kom told reporters from Astana.
Mary Kom took a 3-0 lead in the opening round. She kept widening the gap with every round and didn`t let Gabeuco strike a single scoring blow after the lone punch she managed in the second round of the bout.
India, which finished third in the previous edition of the event with three gold and two silver medals, have an 11-strong presence this year, comprising former world champions and other international medallists.
In all, 16 countries are participating in the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city