Brahmos supersonic cruise missile test fired successfully
Balasore: India today successfully test fired Brahmos supersonic cruise missile as part of a user trial by the Army from the test range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
"The missile was test fired from a ground mobile launcher from the launch complex-3 at about 1122 hours and the trial was successful," said a defence official.
The missile, which has a flight range of up to 290 km, is capable of carrying a conventional warhead of 200 to 300 kg.
The cruise missile, a surface-to-surface Army version, was test fired as part of user trial by the Army, he said.
The two-stage missile, the first one being solid and the second one ramjet liquid propellant, has already been inducted into the Army and Navy, he said.
While induction of the first version of Brahmos missile system in the Indian Navy commenced from 2005 with INS Rajput, it is now fully operational with two regiments of the Army.
The air launch version and the submarine launch version of the missile system are in progress, said the official.
The Army has so far placed orders for the Brahmos missile to be deployed by three regiments of the Army and two of them have already been inducted operationally.
The Defence Ministry has also given a go-ahead to the Army to induct a third regiment equipped with the missile system to be deployed in Arunachal Pradesh along the China
`Brahmos Aerospace`, an Indo-Russian joint venture company headed by a distinguished Indian defence scientist, is also working to develop the air as well as the submarine launch version of the missile system and work on the project is in progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Massive relief for Central government employees; 7th Pay Commission notification issued
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire