Brasa failed to deliver, so painting himself as martyr: HI
New Delhi: Hockey India on Friday lashed out at
India`s chief coach Jose Brasa for his criticism of the Sports
Authority of India and the national body, saying the Spaniard
is trying to portray himself as a "martyr" after failing to
deliver in his job.
Brasa had claimed that SAI and HI officials ill-treated
him after appointing him as the chief coach in May last year.
His comments have infuriated HI, whose secretary general
Narinder Batra said instead of Brasa, it is SAI which has been
tolerating the antics of the Spaniard.
"What I feel is that Brasa wants to paint himself as a
martyr because he knows his contract won`t be renewed after
the Asian Games. He has failed to deliver. Nothing is
exceptional about him," Batra said today.
"I talked to a few players and they said whatever
knowledge he had, he has given it in the initial few months
and now he has nothing new to give. He has no idea about
drag-flicks so we had to bring in Jugraj Singh with the team,”
"All his issues are with SAI but I must admit SAI has
been very fair with him. SAI tolerated him. He is the one who
has been unfair to his employers. He has been misusing the
media," the HI official added.
Brasa, in his grievances, had said that on his
appointment, SAI had promised accommodation for his family and
schooling for his kids but till today nothing has been done in
Batra alleged that Brasa was creating divisions within
"He is the biggest mischief creator I have ever seen. He
is breaking the team. If HI is asked, we would prefer
(national coach) Harendra Singh any day," he said.
The HI official, however, admitted that Brasa was right
on his point that in no top hockey playing country in the
world the selectors pick the team barring India and Pakistan.
But he refused to accept that the Spaniard had no say in
the selection process.
"He is right on that point but what can we do when we
have such a system in place. But if he has said that he is not
party to the selection process, he is lying. He is involved in
all selections. He is signatory to all the selections," Batra
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda