Brazil Copa "disaster" just step to 2014 for Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s poor Copa America showing was just a necessary evil as they work out a recipe for a sixth World Cup success on home soil in 2014, Pele said on Friday.
"The Copa America was a disaster for us - but it was not the fault of the coach," said Brazil`s world champion, absolving an under-fire Mano Menezes of blame after the Copa ended with a quarter-final loss to Paraguay on penalties.
"Maybe we lacked a little preparation," suggested Pele, noting that Brazil should have beaten the Paraguayans ahead of their spotkick nightmare which saw the auriverde miss all of their kicks.
With three years to go to the first World Cup in Brazil since 1950, Pele said that Menezes "has time to prepare things."
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has invited Pele, who had a spell as sports minister under former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, to be an honorary ambassador for the World Cup, saying the country can learn from his experience.
"I am proud of this invitation to promote Brazil," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'