Brazil Copa "disaster" just step to 2014 for Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s poor Copa America showing was just a necessary evil as they work out a recipe for a sixth World Cup success on home soil in 2014, Pele said on Friday.
"The Copa America was a disaster for us - but it was not the fault of the coach," said Brazil`s world champion, absolving an under-fire Mano Menezes of blame after the Copa ended with a quarter-final loss to Paraguay on penalties.
"Maybe we lacked a little preparation," suggested Pele, noting that Brazil should have beaten the Paraguayans ahead of their spotkick nightmare which saw the auriverde miss all of their kicks.
With three years to go to the first World Cup in Brazil since 1950, Pele said that Menezes "has time to prepare things."
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has invited Pele, who had a spell as sports minister under former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, to be an honorary ambassador for the World Cup, saying the country can learn from his experience.
"I am proud of this invitation to promote Brazil," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem