Brazil Copa "disaster" just step to 2014 for Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s poor Copa America showing was just a necessary evil as they work out a recipe for a sixth World Cup success on home soil in 2014, Pele said on Friday.
"The Copa America was a disaster for us - but it was not the fault of the coach," said Brazil`s world champion, absolving an under-fire Mano Menezes of blame after the Copa ended with a quarter-final loss to Paraguay on penalties.
"Maybe we lacked a little preparation," suggested Pele, noting that Brazil should have beaten the Paraguayans ahead of their spotkick nightmare which saw the auriverde miss all of their kicks.
With three years to go to the first World Cup in Brazil since 1950, Pele said that Menezes "has time to prepare things."
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has invited Pele, who had a spell as sports minister under former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, to be an honorary ambassador for the World Cup, saying the country can learn from his experience.
"I am proud of this invitation to promote Brazil," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video