Brazil Copa "disaster" just step to 2014 for Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s poor Copa America showing was just a necessary evil as they work out a recipe for a sixth World Cup success on home soil in 2014, Pele said on Friday.
"The Copa America was a disaster for us - but it was not the fault of the coach," said Brazil`s world champion, absolving an under-fire Mano Menezes of blame after the Copa ended with a quarter-final loss to Paraguay on penalties.
"Maybe we lacked a little preparation," suggested Pele, noting that Brazil should have beaten the Paraguayans ahead of their spotkick nightmare which saw the auriverde miss all of their kicks.
With three years to go to the first World Cup in Brazil since 1950, Pele said that Menezes "has time to prepare things."
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has invited Pele, who had a spell as sports minister under former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, to be an honorary ambassador for the World Cup, saying the country can learn from his experience.
"I am proud of this invitation to promote Brazil," he told reporters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij