Bright start by India in world team squash
Paderborn (Germany): India, seeded sixth, kicked off in style with an impressive 3-0 victory against Hungry in the World Men`s Team Squash championships on Sunday.
All the players, Sidharth Suchde, Saurav Ghosal and Mahesh Mangaonkar who made his senior debut won convincingly in straight games and warmed up nicely for the match against Kuwait on Monday.
Earlier, the inauguration of the championship was marked by a spectacular ceremony that saw the arrival of the German, World Squash Federation and Paderborn Squash Club flags, dropped into the gardens of the famous Water Castle in Schloss Neuhaus by a parachute team.
A record-equalling 32 nations are competing for the World Squash Federation title at the Ahorn-Sportpark in Paderborn, as the sport presents its first senior world championship since the IOC announcement that Squash is on the shortlist for Olympic inclusion in 2020.
After the introduction of the chief guests including WSF President N. Ramachandran, Paderborn Burgermeister Heinz Paus and the President of the German Squash Federation Wolfgang Bauriedel, a local band Bahn-Orchester Altenbeken led the officiating referees and participating teams into the arena.
The long procession was rounded off by hosts Germany, led by championship ambassador Simon Rosner, the German number one who hails from Paderborn.
Ramachandran praised the hosts for the superbly-organised championship: "The WSF is mounting a bid to get the one slot available to a new sport in 2020 Olympic Games and we have invited IOC members to this superb presentation, where I am sure they will see squash in a new light."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday