Bring on the Pressure: Jwala
Hyderabad: The higher the pressure, the
better player she is, feels Jwala Gutta.
The mixed doubles players says she actually commits less
mistakes when she is under pressure.
"I don`t feel pressure. I have always played under
pressure because I have always played for my team in doubles
and mixed doubles and it was always like if the doubles pair
win then the team wins.”
"And love playing under pressure because it makes me
more alert and focused. Somehow I always make very few mistake
when I am under pressure," Jwala says.
One of India`s medal prospect at the World Badminton
championships, the Jwala and V Diju pair has got a bye in the
first round and a walkover in the second round, which means
they start their tournament tomorrow in the pre-quarters and
the seven-time National Doubles Champion says she just can`t
wait to get on the court.
"I just can`t get wait anymore. I`m losing the feeling
it seems," she says.
"But it would be tough match. They are the 12th seed. We
played this polish pair before, may be four years ago, well a
lot has changed in this years, isn`t it?" she quips.
World number eight Jwala-Diju will take on Robert
Mateusiak and Nadiezda Kostiuczyk in the third round tomorrow
and the Hyderabadi shuttler says she has worked a lot on her
game in the run up to the tournament.
"My back hand side I think I am slower, I was working on
it and I have improved and my defence," she says.
Asked about her chemistry with Diju, Jwala says it is
the great level of communication and faith on each other which
gets reflected on the court.
"Off the court we are good friends. I listen to him, he
even shouts at me on the court and I know that he tells me for
my own good and for our game and I tell him and he listen so I
have this brilliant communication which is so important," says
the Indian Open finalist.
"Even if I fall in the court, I know he would be there
covering me so we have this confidence on each other."
But ask her who is the prankster of the two, Jwala keeps
the rights for herself. "Of course, I am the mischievous of
the two. I am the more outspoken. I keep cracking jokes a
lot," she says.
The duo won the Bitburger Open and the Bulgarian open
Asked about her women`s doubles partner Ashwini
Poppanna, Jwala says she is a good attacking player and we are
gelling up well.
"We played some super series. She is a junior player and
she listens what I say as I have more experience. She hits
really hard. We are gelling very well," she concludes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!
- Bipasha Basu tells you how to combat bad hair day! Pic inside
- Donald Trump has already damaged national security: Madeline Albright
- These bollywood movie makers, superstars have been issued service tax notices by CBEC –Know