British Airways cabin crews vote to strike over Christmas
London: British Airways cabin crews will strike over the busy Christmas period, throwing the plans of thousands of holiday makers into uncertainty.
The Unite union said Monday crew members plan to walk off the job on Dec. 22 and strike for 12 days.
The union says 92.5 percent of the workers who voted were in favor of the action.
BA staff members are unhappy about layoffs and changes in work practices that they argue have been illegally imposed by the airline.
BA has announced sweeping changes as part of its bid to cut costs after suffering big losses amid lower demand for travel during the global recession. It says plans to axe thousands of jobs, freeze pay for current staff and offer lower wages for new employees are necessary for its survival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah