British women sacrifice feet on fashion altar: Poll
London: When it comes to shoes, fashion trumps function and even comfort for many British women, according to a survey by a British medical society.
The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists said Monday that more than a third of British women bought shoes they knew did not fit at sales this summer.
A survey found that 80 percent of the 2,000 people it polled suffered from a passion for footwear fashion with problems ranging from bunions and corns to cracked heels and in-growing toe nails.
It also said women were not the only ones squeezing their feet into shoes that don`t fit them, with nearly a fifth of men (17 per cent) also having bought shoes in the wrong size.
Despite the scale of the nation`s foot problems, 40 percent of those that have ever had a foot problem have never sought medical advice, the society said in a statement.
"Many of us find it hard to resist a bargain and the latest fashion must-have, but it`s important to remember that by buying ill-fitting shoes, you`re not only going to end up in discomfort, but you are also putting your health at risk," Lorraine Jones, podiatrist from the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH