BSE Sensex slips to 1-mth lows; L&T, RIL decline
Mumbai: The BSE Sensex slipped more than 2 percent lower in early trade on Friday to touch its lowest level in a month, with frontline stocks such as Larsen & Toubro, Reliance Industries and financials leading the decline.
The fall was in line with a sell off in global equities, with Asian markets tumbling after US President Barack Obama threatened tough new restrictions on banks, sending jitters across markets.
"The market was showing fatigue at the top. There are plenty of negatives on market`s mind right now. L&T was disappointing as it is a play on the domestic economy," said Gajendra Nagpal, chief executive at Unicon Financial Intermediaries.
Top engineering and construction firm Larsen & Toubro extended losses for the second straight session and was down 4.1 percent at 1,462.20 rupees. The stock had fallen the most in over six months on Thursday, after it lowered full-year revenue guidance citing project delays.
"Though order inflows for the quarter were strong, poor execution seen over 1HFY10 continues to be a key challenge for L&T," Goldman Sachs said in a note.
By 11.34 am, the 30-share BSE Index was trading at 16,883.63 down 167.51 points, with only two of its components gaining.
In the broader market, decliners outnumbered advances in a volume of 148 million shares.
Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading 1.11 percent below at 5037.80 down
At the same time.
Energy major Reliance Industries is expected to report a rise in quarterly profit for the first time in five quarters on higher gas production from its fields off India`s east coast, but markets were jittery ahead of the announcement, due mid-day.
The stock, which has the highest weightage in the main index, was down 1.3 percent at 1,039.65 rupees.
Bharti Airtel, India`s top mobile operator, rose early but slipped to the negative despite beating forecasts with a 2.4 percent rise in quarterly profit, as strong subscriber additions helped offset an intense price war in the market.
The stock was down marginally, but had risen more than 2 percent after the results were announced.
"We may see weakness for a few more sessions. But buying has emerged from institutional investors on earlier occasions and may happen again. There is a lot of liquidity in the market," Nagpal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra