BSNL getting MNP network ready to lure mobile users of rivals
New Delhi: In a bid to attract subscribers of
rival companies, state-run telecom operator BSNL is gearing up
to start mobile number portability (MNP) services as soon as
telecom regulator TRAI issues tariff structure.
Even as the implementation of MNP is likely to be delayed
from the scheduled date of September 20, the PSU, which hopes
to attract substantial number of users from the rivals like
Bharti Airtel and Reliance Communications, has called for
expression of interest for MNP gateway.
A company official said the MNP gateway would integrate
BSNL subscribers data system with the Clearing House appointed
by the government (Synverse or Telecordia).
BSNL has lost number two GSM operator position to
Vodafane Essar due to delay in network expansions. Complaints
of poor service has also hit the PSU`s efforts to garner more
users. In July, BSNL subscriber base stood at 4.9 crore
against Bharti`s 10.23 crore and Vodafone`s 7.64 crore.
MNP service allows subscribers retain their mobile number
when they switch from one service provider to another or from
one technology to another of the same service provider.
The Telecom Department had notified September 20 as the
date of implementation for MNP service. Later, Telecom
Secretary Siddartha Behura said MNP will come by the year-end
as the regulations are being prepared.
Syniverse Technologies and MNP Interconnection have been
selected by DoT to carry out the MNP exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video