BSNL in 2nd round to buy Zamtel; 3 global cos too in fray
New Delhi: Inching closer to its first ever global buyout, state-owned BSNL has entered the second round of bidding to acquire a majority stake in Zambia’s leading telecom company Zambia Telecommunications Ltd (Zamtel).
"All the four companies that submitted the first round bids on December 23, 2009, for up to 75 per cent stake in Zamtel have successfully gone to the second round of bidding," Zambia Development Agency (ZDA), an official agency promoting economic growth and development, said.
When contacted BSNL Chairman and Managing Director Kuldeep Goyal said "...we had participated, now selected, we shall see and go forward from here."
Asked about the due diligence, BSNL had done before putting in its initial bid, Goyal declined to give details about the bid and company details and said "now again we have to see and take a call for the next round of bidding."
Zamtel, with a revenue of USD 100 million (till December, 2009), is Zambia`s only licenced fixed-line provider of voice and data communications.
The bidders who shall proceed to the next round are Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) of India, LAP Greencom Ltd/LAP Green Networks of Libya, Unitel/Angola Cables of Angola and Altimo Holdings/Vimpel Com of Russia.
"The ZDA Board at meeting held on January 11, 2009 approved the recommended shortlist after detailed analysis conducted by an Evaluation Committee," ZDA said on its website.
If succeeds, this would be BSNL`s first ever global foray, Goyal said adding he was keenly watching it.
BSNL is sitting on huge cash estimated at Rs 40,000 crore to make international presence. However, there was no confirmation on its cash reserves. The PSU is feeling competition in the domestic market and its market share has taken a hit in the recent years.
Commenting on the shortlisted successful bidders, Muhabi Lungu, Acting Director General of the ZDA, said he was happy with all four players who have gone through to the next stage of the process. "The bids submitted were compelling, and set the stage for an exciting next phase," he added.
The four bidders will now be invited to participate in the next round of bidding, which is expected to begin during the week commencing January 18, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh