BSNL may buy stake in Zain Telecom
New Delhi: BSNL on Thursday said it is not averse to picking up a stake in Kuwait-based Zain Telecom but is yet to take a call on that.
"There was a proposal (to buy stake in Zain) on which we have not taken a decision. We along with MTNL were approached on this. It is a large operator and we will take time to arrive at a decision on this issue," BSNL CMD Kuldeep Goyal told reporters on the sidelines of a CII event here.
"We are not averse to picking up a stake in Zain Telecom. It is still on our radar but we are a bit cautious about Vavasi," Goyal said.
Vavasi group, with interests in telecommunications and renewable energy among others, is reportedly forming a consortium for picking up stake in Zain.
On the BSNL`s GSM network expansion plan, he said price negotiations are going on with the vendor for three zones barring the West.
He said Ericsson is the lowest bidder for North and East zones while Chinese firm Huawei is being considered for the South zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa