BSP cost Congress a dozen seats in Gujarat
New Delhi, Dec 24: The "elephant" was instrumental in trampling upon the "hand" in some dozen seats in the Gujarat polls which helped the "Lotus" reign supreme.
The Mayawati-led BSP, which contested over 160 of the total 182 seats in the Narendra Modi-ruled state, resulted in the defeat of some 18 Congress candidates, according to AICC media department chairperson M Veerappa Moily.
Another party general secretary, however, said the figure was less than 10.
In the 2002 polls, the Sharad Pawar-led NCP had played the role of the BSP by cutting into the votes of Congress, which had led to its defeat in some 15 seats.
This time, however, the Congress had taken the NCP on board and the Pawar-led party could even bag three seats.
BSP failed to win even a single seat in the 182-member Gujarat Assembly.
It was a case of fifth-time unlucky for the BSP which has been contesting some seats in Gujarat since 1990.
Mayawati had campaigned in the state in both the phases as her party put up candidates for all the seats encouraged by its success in capturing power in Lucknow.
She had deputed senior leader Gandhi Azad to Gujarat to personally supervise the campaign, but found that the climate in the western state where the polity is bipolar between BJP and Congress, far different from the Hindi heartland.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical