BT brinjal to become reality soon: TNAU VC
Coimbatore: BT brinjal, over which the government has put a moratorium would become a reality in a couple of years after those opposed to it, particularly farmers, are convinced of its positive aspects, according to a top official of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural university.
"BT Brinjal on which the Environment Ministry has put a moratarium, will become a reality in a couple of years but it will take some time to convince those opposed to it, mainly farmers, of its positive side," Tamil Nadu Agricultural University vice chancellor, Dr Murugesa Bhoopathi said and recalled it had taken six years to popularise Bt cotton.
Among those opposing Bt Brinjal, he alleged, was the pesticide lobby for fear of losing business.Ultimately farmers were the best judges for adopting or rejecting a technology.
The `advantages` of Bt Brinjal, he said, was that there would be no pest attacks, meaning that farmers could have a "clean" and clear crop with no residual effect, better market value and consumer acceptance, compared to conventional ones where 70 per cent of it is destroyed by pests and larvae, resulting in farmers losing revenue.
He said many varieties released by TNAU in several crops have been adopted by farmers and said the university has developed four varieties from conventional brinjal after various tests. However TNAU would wait for the moratorium to be revoked since it was developed for farmers` benefit "and not because of the compulsion or under the diktat of MNCs."
"We have not taken hybrid seed from Monsanto or Mahyco. We have taken the seed of this native crop from farmers and developed in four university Centres,"he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report