Buta Singh denies any role in Bagmati embankment project
New Delhi: National Commission for
Scheduled Castes chairman Buta Singh on Sunday denied any
involvement in the Rs 900-crore Bagmati embankment project in
Bihar, claiming that its tender was awarded last year when he
was not the Governor of the state.
"As per my information, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar awarded the contract for constructing embankment on
Bagmati river to Hindustan Steelworks Construction Ltd, a
government of India company on April 10, 2008 and it is being
alleged that I siphoned off the money," Singh said while
addressing a conference of SC/ST organisations in New Delhi.
Last week, Bihar government had ordered a high-level
probe into the tender allotment for embankment which breached
in Sitamarhi. State Water Resources Minister Virendra Yadav
had said the project was given to Hindustan Steelworks
Construction Limited in 2005 when Bihar was under President`s
Rule and Singh was the Governor of the state.
Buta had resigned as Bihar Governor in January 2006.
"I was not even there. No doubt it was a Rs 900 crore
project, but I have been with the NCSC since the last two
years. How can I be involved in this," he said.
Referring to the probe ordered by the government,
Singh said, "No lie or fraud can be bigger than levelling such
allegations against a person who had helped people during the
The former minister is already facing trouble
following the arrest of his son by CBI for allegedly demanding
bribe from a person to drop a case against him with the
Bhuta said that after Bagmati had created havoc in
Bihar in 2004, soon after he had assumed office as Governor of
the state, "I had personally visited the affected areas and
provided relief to people.
"Soon after this I had asked the state officials to
make a plan to prevent this problem and it was prepared by
Buta Singh said that Nitish awarded the contract last
year on the basis of the plan prepared and finalised in
December 2004, "and then they say I siphoned off the money".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt