Cabinet Secy calls meeting with DoT, Defence on spectrum release
New Delhi: With the government firm on
auctioning 3G spectrum before this year end, Cabinet Secretary
K M Chandrasekhar has called a meeting on September 11 with
Department of Telecom and Defence Ministry secretaries to
expedite release of radio waves for sale.
"Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar will chair a meeting
with the secretaries of both the ministries to discuss the
Memorandum of Understanding between them in May this year for
release of spectrum", a senior DoT official said.
According to the MoU signed by the two sides, the defence
will release 25 Mhz of 3G spectrum and 20 Mhz of 2G spectrum.
Of this, it will immediately release 10 Mhz of spectrum for 3G
spectrum and 5 Mhz for existing 2G cellular services.
The spectrum scenario is not very good, although DoT
claims that it can go ahead with the auction without defence
releasing any frequency.
But with Rajasthan still not having any 3G spectrum and
there being only 15 Mhz available in an important circle like
Delhi, the government does not want to send a picture of
scarcity of spectrum to the potential bidders.
On August 28, an empowered group of ministers (EGoM)
headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had fixed the
reserve price for 3G pan-India licence at Rs 3,500 crore. The
eGoM also decided to restrict the number of players in each
circle to five, including one slot for PSUs BSNL and MTNL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened