Cabinet Secy discusses spectrum release roadmap for 3G
New Delhi: The Cabinet Secretary today held
a meeting with the Defence and Telecom secretaries to monitor
the release of 3G spectrum by the Defence department before it
is auctioned around this year end.
The spectrum monitoring committee, headed by Cabinet
Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, met to oversee the vacation by
the defence ministry of 3G radio waves and setting up of a
dedicated network for armed forces, a senior DoT official
No decision has been taken on the timeline of the
spectrum release by defence forces, but it is likely that they
would release 5-10 Mhz of spectrum for auction, said the
According to the MoU signed between DoT and Defence
ministry, the defence forces will release 25 Mhz of 3G
spectrum and 20 Mhz of 2G spectrum. Of this, it will release
immediately 10 Mhz of spectrum for 3G spectrum and 5 Mhz for
existing 2G cellular services.
The spectrum scenario is not very good, although DoT
claims that it can go ahead with the auction without the
defence forces releasing any frequency.
With Rajasthan still not having any 3G spectrum and
there being only 15 Mhz available in an important circle like
Delhi, the government does not want to send a picture of
spectrum scarcity to potential bidders.
On August 28, an empowered group of ministers (EGoM)
headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had fixed the
reserve price for 3G pan-India licence at Rs 3,500 crore. The
EGoM had also decided to restrict the number of players in
each circle to five, including one slot for PSUs BSNL and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?