Cabinet Secy discusses spectrum release roadmap for 3G
New Delhi: The Cabinet Secretary today held
a meeting with the Defence and Telecom secretaries to monitor
the release of 3G spectrum by the Defence department before it
is auctioned around this year end.
The spectrum monitoring committee, headed by Cabinet
Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, met to oversee the vacation by
the defence ministry of 3G radio waves and setting up of a
dedicated network for armed forces, a senior DoT official
No decision has been taken on the timeline of the
spectrum release by defence forces, but it is likely that they
would release 5-10 Mhz of spectrum for auction, said the
According to the MoU signed between DoT and Defence
ministry, the defence forces will release 25 Mhz of 3G
spectrum and 20 Mhz of 2G spectrum. Of this, it will release
immediately 10 Mhz of spectrum for 3G spectrum and 5 Mhz for
existing 2G cellular services.
The spectrum scenario is not very good, although DoT
claims that it can go ahead with the auction without the
defence forces releasing any frequency.
With Rajasthan still not having any 3G spectrum and
there being only 15 Mhz available in an important circle like
Delhi, the government does not want to send a picture of
spectrum scarcity to potential bidders.
On August 28, an empowered group of ministers (EGoM)
headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had fixed the
reserve price for 3G pan-India licence at Rs 3,500 crore. The
EGoM had also decided to restrict the number of players in
each circle to five, including one slot for PSUs BSNL and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter