Cabinet Secy, Lt Gov review Delhi`s preparedness for CW Games
New Delhi: Amid renewed spotlight over
Delhi`s ill preparations for the Commonwealth Games, Union
Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar and Lt Governor Tejindra
Khanna on Tuesday reviewed the overall preparedness of the city for
the mega event beginning October 3.
The meeting, which took stock of the progress of
various unfinished projects, also deliberated on the
shortcomings pointed out by Commonwealth Games Federation
President Michael Fennell about the Games village, top
officials told reporters.
Fennell has asked the government to take immediate
steps to fix the condition of Games Village`s residential
zone, which according to him, has "shocked" many contingents.
In a statement, Fennell said he had written to the
Cabinet Secretary and requested him to take urgent steps
before the first batch of athletes arrive on Thursday.
CGF Chief Executive Mike Hooper also echoed similar
sentiments and termed the Athletes village as "filthy and
uninhabitable". He, however, hoped that with Fennell`s
intervention, the mess would be sorted out in the next two
The meeting also deliberated on readiness of the Games
Village to receive the athletes, they said.
The Cabinet Secretary, who is also looking after the
preparations, earlier in the day visited various Games venues
and the Games Village and believed to have directed the
authorities concerned to address the issues raised by Fennel.
In a major embarrassment for organisers, an under-
construction foot overbridge also collapsed outside the
Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, the main venue of the Commonwealth
Games, injuring 23 labourers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!