Cadel Evans to be honoured with parade in Oz
Melbourne: Tour de France champion Cadel Evans will be welcomed home to Australia next week with a parade through the capital of his home state of Victoria.
It was initially thought Evans, the first Australian — and only third non-European — to win the Tour, would not have time to return to Australia, but will make a brief trip home ahead of the inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge starting Aug. 22 in Colorado.
The Victoria state government said Wednesday that Evans would be "honored with a public celebration of his achievement at Federation Square" in downtown Melbourne on Aug. 12.
Evans stays in the Victorian coastal town of Barwon Heads — about 100 kilometers (62 miles) south of Melbourne — when not competing during the Australian summer.
"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu said in a statement.
Evans, who this week re-signed with the BMC Racing Team through to 2014, is expected to undertake a national tour later this year, and the Australian Football League has expressed an interest in including the cyclist in its grand final day entertainment in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video