Cadel Evans to be honoured with parade in Oz
Melbourne: Tour de France champion Cadel Evans will be welcomed home to Australia next week with a parade through the capital of his home state of Victoria.
It was initially thought Evans, the first Australian — and only third non-European — to win the Tour, would not have time to return to Australia, but will make a brief trip home ahead of the inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge starting Aug. 22 in Colorado.
The Victoria state government said Wednesday that Evans would be "honored with a public celebration of his achievement at Federation Square" in downtown Melbourne on Aug. 12.
Evans stays in the Victorian coastal town of Barwon Heads — about 100 kilometers (62 miles) south of Melbourne — when not competing during the Australian summer.
"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu said in a statement.
Evans, who this week re-signed with the BMC Racing Team through to 2014, is expected to undertake a national tour later this year, and the Australian Football League has expressed an interest in including the cyclist in its grand final day entertainment in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test
- Turkey forms state of emergency coordination committee