Cambridge Univ`s `Page 3` girls spark row
London: A row has erupted at Cambridge
University after its first tabloid showed off its "Page 3"
girls, fuelling demands that scantilly clad students on `The
Tab` be covered up.
The online "redtop" launched this year has received
80,000 hits in its first week, but it has sparked a row with
complains being filed that "semi-naked women in provocative
positions are being shoved in freshers` faces".
Natalie Szarek, the university`s student union women`s
officer, demanded that the "Page 3" girls should be removed
because they "reproduce and reinforce harmful attitudes
towards women". "We can do better as a university," she was
quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph today.
Taymoor Atighetchi, a third-year student at Trinity
College and one of the tabloid’s three co-founders who paid
500 pounds each to launch the website, defended The Tab.
"There`s a huge amount of intellectual snobbery
around, mainly from those who haven`t read the site," he said,
adding "We do not think what we are doing is sexist".
The female photographer who took the "Totty" photos
for the university`s tabloid also defended the website.
"Surely the fact that they are educated and bright
women, and still chose to partake in Tab Totty proves that
‘page three’ and ‘glamour girls’ are not just women who have
no other choice but to turn to modelling," she said.
The website has also come into conflict with
Cambridge’s traditional old student newspapers, Varsity and
The Cambridge Student, the report in the British daily said.
The Varsity co-editor, Anna Trench, a third-year
English student, claimed the traditional press is "taken a lot
more seriously" and that the anti-elitist Tab was run by
"three of the richest students in Cambridge".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill