Cameron promised to be tough on Pakistan
London: British Prime Minister David
Cameron`s remark during his India visit in June about Pakistan looking "both ways" in the war against terrorism was in line with his party`s promise to America to act tough on Islamabad, the Guardian reported Wednesday.
According to the report based on leaked US cables, the
US was promised before the May 6 UK general election that a
Conservative government could be tougher on Pakistan, because
the Tories claimed to be less dependent than Labour on
domestic votes from people with Pakistani connections.
In a leaked 10 December 2009 cable, the US ambassador
to the UK, Louis Susman recorded meeting Tory leader Liam Fox,
who is now the defence secretary.
"Fox criticised the Labour government for policies
which reinforce the Indian government`s long-held view that
HMG`s [Her Majesty`s government`s] foreign relations on the
subcontinent are `skewed to Pakistan`", the cable said.
He is quoted as saying that "the Conservatives are
`less dependent` than the Labour party on votes from the
During the June visit to India, Cameron urged
Pakistanis not to face both ways on the issue of terrorism. His remarks caused a diplomatic furore.
The London US embassy reported that Cameron and "an
eager group from his frontbench" met a Congressional
delegation led by Republican Senator John McCain in 2008.
"Cameron..raised Pakistan, noting that 60,000
individuals travel to Pakistan from the UK each year and that
this has implications for the UK`s own significant domestic
McCain stressed to him how worried he too was about
Pakistan, "If they don`t co-operate and help us, I don`t know
what we are going to do."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing