Cameroon name newcomers, still wait for clearance
Yaounde: Cameroon named uncapped Gaetan Bong and Eric Choupo-Moting in their 23-man World Cup squad on Saturday, even though the pair have yet to receive FIFA approval to play for the Indomitable Lions.
FIFA on Friday confirmed receipt of an application from Cameroon to use Bong and Choupo-Moting, previously capped at junior level by France and Germany respectively, but said the documentation was incomplete.
“We have already started the relevant investigations, however, to this day, the files are not yet complete and therefore we are in contact with the Cameroon Football Federation,” a FIFA spokesman said.
“Cases can take different periods of time to review, dependent on the amount of information which is supplied by the respective FA, and how quickly.”
Coach Paul Le Guen named German-born Marcel Ndjeng on stand-by in case FIFA turn down the application by either Bong or Choupo-Moting.
Le Guen included Vincent Aboubakar from Coton Sport in his final 23, a rare run for the home-based player at a major tournament for Cameroon.
Long-serving defender Rigobert Song will play in a fourth World Cup tournament, having debuted as a teenager in the United States in 1994.
Cameroon are in Group E for the June 11 to July 11 tournament, with the Netherlands, Denmark and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report