Cameroon slip to Gabon as Zambia hold Tunisia
Lubango: World Cup-bound teams continued their miserable start to the African Nations Cup on Wednesday with Cameroon suffering an embarrassing 1-0 defeat by neighbours Gabon in their Group D opener.
None of the teams who have qualified for this year`s World Cup in South Africa has won a game in Angola yet, with Algeria, Nigeria and Cameroon losing their opening matches and Ivory Coast being held to a draw.
In another surprising result, Zambia, who were not expected to make it to the next phase, held Tunisia 1-1 in Wednesday`s other Group D match.
Gabon, pipped by Cameroon in the race to a World Cup spot last November, enjoyed sweet revenge courtesy of a 17th-minute winner by Daniel Cousin.
Gabon coach Alain Giresse, however, was quick to put things in perspective.
"It does not write off our two defeats (against Cameroon in the World Cup qualifiers). You do not play to try and change the past," he said.
"We had set up a tactical frame to counter Cameroon`s game and it worked out."
In Lubango, 33-year-old Rigobert Song, taking part in a record eighth Nations Cup finals, looked his age when he let Roguy Meye find Cousin with a through pass for the Hull City striker to coolly slot home and give Gabon all three points.
Cameroon proved unable to break the deadlock despite playing with three strikers in the second half.
Paul Le Guen`s side are bottom of Group D after Tunisia and Zambia played out their draw in Lubango.
Outsiders Zambia went ahead in the 19th minute thanks to a clinical finish by forward Jacob Mulenga after the ball was slipped to him by James Chamanga.
Tunisia equalised five minutes before halftime when Youssef Msakni burst into the Zambia box and found Zouheir Dhaouadi who fired into the roof of the net.
Cameroon will play Zambia and Tunisia will face Gabon in the group`s next match day on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp