Cameroon slip to Gabon as Zambia hold Tunisia
Lubango: World Cup-bound teams continued their miserable start to the African Nations Cup on Wednesday with Cameroon suffering an embarrassing 1-0 defeat by neighbours Gabon in their Group D opener.
None of the teams who have qualified for this year`s World Cup in South Africa has won a game in Angola yet, with Algeria, Nigeria and Cameroon losing their opening matches and Ivory Coast being held to a draw.
In another surprising result, Zambia, who were not expected to make it to the next phase, held Tunisia 1-1 in Wednesday`s other Group D match.
Gabon, pipped by Cameroon in the race to a World Cup spot last November, enjoyed sweet revenge courtesy of a 17th-minute winner by Daniel Cousin.
Gabon coach Alain Giresse, however, was quick to put things in perspective.
"It does not write off our two defeats (against Cameroon in the World Cup qualifiers). You do not play to try and change the past," he said.
"We had set up a tactical frame to counter Cameroon`s game and it worked out."
In Lubango, 33-year-old Rigobert Song, taking part in a record eighth Nations Cup finals, looked his age when he let Roguy Meye find Cousin with a through pass for the Hull City striker to coolly slot home and give Gabon all three points.
Cameroon proved unable to break the deadlock despite playing with three strikers in the second half.
Paul Le Guen`s side are bottom of Group D after Tunisia and Zambia played out their draw in Lubango.
Outsiders Zambia went ahead in the 19th minute thanks to a clinical finish by forward Jacob Mulenga after the ball was slipped to him by James Chamanga.
Tunisia equalised five minutes before halftime when Youssef Msakni burst into the Zambia box and found Zouheir Dhaouadi who fired into the roof of the net.
Cameroon will play Zambia and Tunisia will face Gabon in the group`s next match day on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India