Cameroon slip to Gabon as Zambia hold Tunisia
Lubango: World Cup-bound teams continued their miserable start to the African Nations Cup on Wednesday with Cameroon suffering an embarrassing 1-0 defeat by neighbours Gabon in their Group D opener.
None of the teams who have qualified for this year`s World Cup in South Africa has won a game in Angola yet, with Algeria, Nigeria and Cameroon losing their opening matches and Ivory Coast being held to a draw.
In another surprising result, Zambia, who were not expected to make it to the next phase, held Tunisia 1-1 in Wednesday`s other Group D match.
Gabon, pipped by Cameroon in the race to a World Cup spot last November, enjoyed sweet revenge courtesy of a 17th-minute winner by Daniel Cousin.
Gabon coach Alain Giresse, however, was quick to put things in perspective.
"It does not write off our two defeats (against Cameroon in the World Cup qualifiers). You do not play to try and change the past," he said.
"We had set up a tactical frame to counter Cameroon`s game and it worked out."
In Lubango, 33-year-old Rigobert Song, taking part in a record eighth Nations Cup finals, looked his age when he let Roguy Meye find Cousin with a through pass for the Hull City striker to coolly slot home and give Gabon all three points.
Cameroon proved unable to break the deadlock despite playing with three strikers in the second half.
Paul Le Guen`s side are bottom of Group D after Tunisia and Zambia played out their draw in Lubango.
Outsiders Zambia went ahead in the 19th minute thanks to a clinical finish by forward Jacob Mulenga after the ball was slipped to him by James Chamanga.
Tunisia equalised five minutes before halftime when Youssef Msakni burst into the Zambia box and found Zouheir Dhaouadi who fired into the roof of the net.
Cameroon will play Zambia and Tunisia will face Gabon in the group`s next match day on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing