Campaign for UP 4th phase polls ends
Lucknow: Campaigning for the fourth phase of
Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections covering 56 seats spread over
11 districts came to an end on Friday.
"Campaigning for the third phase of elections, polling for
which would be be held on February 19, ended this evening,"
joint chief electoral officer Anita Meshram told reporters.
She said the 11 districts where polling would be held are
Hardoi, Unnao, Lucknow, Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar, Farukkhabad,
Kannauj, Banda, Chitrakoot, Fatehpur and Pratapgarh.
"More than 1.74 crore voters, including 95.83 lakh men
and 78.3 lakh women are expected to cast their votes at 18,609
polling stations," she said.
Meshram said 967 candidates were in the fray. Prominent
among the contestants are three ministers, 32 sitting MLAs,
12 former ministers, BJP national vice-president Kalraj Mishra
and Congress state chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter