Campaign for UP 4th phase polls ends
Lucknow: Campaigning for the fourth phase of
Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections covering 56 seats spread over
11 districts came to an end on Friday.
"Campaigning for the third phase of elections, polling for
which would be be held on February 19, ended this evening,"
joint chief electoral officer Anita Meshram told reporters.
She said the 11 districts where polling would be held are
Hardoi, Unnao, Lucknow, Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar, Farukkhabad,
Kannauj, Banda, Chitrakoot, Fatehpur and Pratapgarh.
"More than 1.74 crore voters, including 95.83 lakh men
and 78.3 lakh women are expected to cast their votes at 18,609
polling stations," she said.
Meshram said 967 candidates were in the fray. Prominent
among the contestants are three ministers, 32 sitting MLAs,
12 former ministers, BJP national vice-president Kalraj Mishra
and Congress state chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof