Can YSR’s team continue?: The Hindu
Hyderabad: A crucial Constitutional question has arisen before Governor N.D. Tiwari on whether members of Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s Cabinet will continue to remain Ministers after his death.
Mr. Tiwari referred the issue to the government for its opinion through a letter to Chief Secretary P. Ramakanth Reddy, soon after K. Rosaiah was sworn in Chief Minister in place of Dr. Reddy on September 3.
The State government has prepared a letter for submission to Mr. Tiwari after consultations with Advocate-General D.V. Sitarama Murthy.
It is understood that Mr. Murthy has given a detailed opinion in the form of a report with several annexures, all of them running into nearly 40 pages.
At the time of his swearing-in as Chief Minister, Mr. Rosaiah handed over a letter to the Governor suggesting that all 35 members of the Council of Ministers constituted earlier be allowed to continue in the position.
Some legal quarters believe that Mr. Rosaiah’s request had no legal basis and that those in YSR’s Cabinet will have to take oath as a Constitutional obligation. Citing Article 164 of the Constitution in dealing with the issue, they say Ministers are administered the oath of office on the advice of the Chief Minister, and once the Chief Minister resigns or dies in office, his advice will no longer be binding.
The Chief Secretary told The Hindu that the government would examine legal and Constitutional angles before conveying its opinion to the Governor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview