Canada await Sinclair news for key France game
Paris: Canada are awaiting a decision on whether talismanic captain Christine Sinclair will be able to line-up against France in a must-win Group A clash at the Women`s World Cup on Thursday.
Veteran striker Sinclair tested a new mask in training on Tuesday which she has to wear after breaking her nose during their 2-1 opening defeat to Germany at the weekend.
France won their opener against Nigeria 1-0 meaning that the Canadians need at least a draw if they are to keep alive their hopes of being one of the two group teams to advance to the quarter-finals.
Two-time defending champions Germany lead the group ahead of France with CONCACAF champions Canada third and Nigeria sitting last.
Germany and Nigeria play in Frankfurt on the same day.
"I can`t run without feeling pain," admitted Sinclair during training.
"The doctors want to be sure I`m ready. It`s a race against the clock."
Canadian coach Carolina Morace said whe would make a decision on Wednesday on the participation of the 28-year-old who scored her 117th goal on her 160th international appearance at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium on Sunday.
France also have their own injury worries with coach Bruno Bini considering whether to select Laure Lepailleur or Corinne Franco in place of injured defender Wendie Renard who has an adductor problem.
Another defender Ophelie Meilleroux is also nursing a knee injury, as the team recover from their opening match.
"The doctors and physios are at work. But you don`t need to be a national coach to know that you recover faster when you win," said Bini.
Meanwhile, goalkeeper Laetitia Philippe returned to France earlier in the week after the death of her father.
"She`ll decide herself when she wants to rejoin us," added Bini.
France, competing in just their second edition of the world tournament, dominated Nigeria from the start, especially on the left side through Louisa Necib, for whom the Africans had no answer.
Necib, capped 59 times, was voted Player of the Match in her first World Cup, but warned: "We have three finals to play during this first round even if we won the first and no-one can take those three points from us."
France are eighth and Canada ninth in the FIFA rankings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi