Canada not yet out of recession: PM Stephen Harper
Quebec: Canada is not yet out of the recession that has gripped the world, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on Friday, adding that now is not the time for Opposition parties to be contemplating an election.
Canadian officials are expressing caution over the economy, saying that while there are signs the worst of the recession is over, they are not declaring victory yet.
"Canada is not yet out of this world recession. We must continue our efforts, we have to persevere. Now is not the time for political instability," Harper told a news conference in the Quebec town of Chelsea.
The main Opposition Liberal Party says it might introduce a motion of non-confidence in the minority Conservative government next month on the grounds that Harper is not doing enough to help those who have lost their jobs.
For the motion to succeed, all three Opposition parties have to vote in favour, and that is far from certain.
Polls put the Conservatives slightly ahead of the Liberals but Harper dismissed the suggestion that he might try to engineer his own defeat.
Asked about a possible fall election, Harper replied: "I can assure you that I do not intend to trigger an election. We`ve just had a federal election ... and I think the population does not want an election."
Harper`s Conservatives won a strengthened minority in an election last October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH