Caning regular feature in my school: Big B
New Delhi: Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan says caning was a "regular feature" in his school, but he strongly opposes the practice.
"I must admit that caning was a regular feature during our stay in the school...As students, we did not resist or fight against it. It was part of our curriculum in a sense and I think we were better off with it than without. Indeed, there were occasions when we opted for it as against, when given the choice of an alternative," Amitabh posted on his blog bigb.bigadda.com.
The 67-year-old, who studied at the Sherwood College in Nainital, says caning was considered acceptable in his school and students used to take it in a sporting way, with some even making fun of their bruised posteriors.
"The whole procedure was to me and I would like to believe for others too, a very fair and formal affair, this business of caning. We knew what the punishment would be if there was infringement, so it wasn`t as though you were suddenly caught forcibly and beaten black and blue in front of the entire school," he added.
Amitabh`s remarks come on the heels of a class 8 student of Kolkata`s La Martiniere School, Rouvanjit Rawla, committing suicide apparently because he was caned by the principal, Sunirmal Chakravarthi.
The actor says corporal punishment should be discouraged in schools now.
"That was 1956! It is 2010 now. If now, Abhishek or Shweta (his daughter) or Agastya and Navya-Naveli (his grandchildren) were to be even spoken loudly against, it would incense me. Times have changed and so have circumstances. I would strongly oppose corporal punishment in schools now," he posted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video