Capello turns to Young for Netherlands friendly
London: Ashley Young will replace the injured Steven Gerrard in midfield for England`s friendly against the Netherlands on Wednesday, coach Fabio Capello said.
"This will be a good test for him. He played very well in our last game at home," Capello said of Aston Villa winger Young, who came on to replace Gerrard at half-time in England`s latest World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.
"But it also means we have to change our system a little bit."
Gerrard pulled out of the squad and returned to Liverpool because of a groin problem, the FA said on Tuesday.
England are well on course for the 2010 World Cup finals, having won all seven of their matches in Group Six to date.
The Dutch have already sealed their place in South Africa and Capello said playing against a team ranked third in the world would be a useful test.
"It is interesting as they play a different style of football, like Spain but not the same quality," he said.
"For us it is an important test to see how we do, and have to do, against opponents like this."
On Monday, Capello had to call up Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart as a replacement for Manchester United`s injured Ben Foster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown