Capello turns to Young for Netherlands friendly
Amsterdam: Ashley Young will replace the injured Steven Gerrard in midfield for England`s friendly against the Netherlands on Wednesday, coach Fabio Capello said.
"This will be a good test for him. He played very well in our last game at home," Capello said of Aston Villa winger Young, who came on to replace Gerrard at half-time in England`s latest World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.
"But it also means we have to change our system a little bit."
Gerrard pulled out of the squad and returned to Liverpool because of a groin problem, the FA said on Tuesday.
England are well on course for the 2010 World Cup finals, having won all seven of their matches in Group Six to date.
The Dutch have already sealed their place in South Africa and Capello said playing against a team ranked third in the world would be a useful test.
"It is interesting as they play a different style of football, like Spain but not the same quality," he said.
"For us it is an important test to see how we do, and have to do, against opponents like this."
On Monday, Capello had to call up Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart as a replacement for Manchester United`s injured Ben Foster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight
- Canada reaffirms support for India's NSG membership bid