Capello turns to Young for Netherlands friendly
Amsterdam: Ashley Young will replace the injured Steven Gerrard in midfield for England`s friendly against the Netherlands on Wednesday, coach Fabio Capello said.
"This will be a good test for him. He played very well in our last game at home," Capello said of Aston Villa winger Young, who came on to replace Gerrard at half-time in England`s latest World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.
"But it also means we have to change our system a little bit."
Gerrard pulled out of the squad and returned to Liverpool because of a groin problem, the FA said on Tuesday.
England are well on course for the 2010 World Cup finals, having won all seven of their matches in Group Six to date.
The Dutch have already sealed their place in South Africa and Capello said playing against a team ranked third in the world would be a useful test.
"It is interesting as they play a different style of football, like Spain but not the same quality," he said.
"For us it is an important test to see how we do, and have to do, against opponents like this."
On Monday, Capello had to call up Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart as a replacement for Manchester United`s injured Ben Foster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet