Capello turns to Young for Netherlands friendly
Amsterdam: Ashley Young will replace the injured Steven Gerrard in midfield for England`s friendly against the Netherlands on Wednesday, coach Fabio Capello said.
"This will be a good test for him. He played very well in our last game at home," Capello said of Aston Villa winger Young, who came on to replace Gerrard at half-time in England`s latest World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.
"But it also means we have to change our system a little bit."
Gerrard pulled out of the squad and returned to Liverpool because of a groin problem, the FA said on Tuesday.
England are well on course for the 2010 World Cup finals, having won all seven of their matches in Group Six to date.
The Dutch have already sealed their place in South Africa and Capello said playing against a team ranked third in the world would be a useful test.
"It is interesting as they play a different style of football, like Spain but not the same quality," he said.
"For us it is an important test to see how we do, and have to do, against opponents like this."
On Monday, Capello had to call up Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart as a replacement for Manchester United`s injured Ben Foster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman