Cappa takes charge at River, prepares to face leaders
Buenos Aires: Angel Cappa signed as coach of River Plate and will make his debut in Saturday`s home match against leaders Godoy Cruz in the Argentine Clausura championship.
Daniel Passarella, former River captain and coach who inherited the badly indebted "Millionaires" on winning the club presidency in December, turned to Cappa to try to pull the team out of a downward spiral towards relegation.
"River have won a lot (of titles) playing good football. That`s their tradition and it`s the style I`ll be sticking to, that I believe in," Cappa told his first news conference as the team`s coach.
Cappa, a 63-year-old Argentine based in Spain, enhanced his reputation as a coach who espouses a passing game with a strong emphasis on attack when he steered Huracan to second place in last season`s Clausura.
However, River are mired in their worst ever season. They have scored only eight goals in 14 games in the Clausura and none in the last five on a run of 465 minutes without finding the net, in total contrast to their tradition.
With debts putting paid to big name signings, Cappa will have to make do with the present squad`s mix of ageing veterans and players down on confidence.
River are in a dangerous position in the relegation averages over three seasons. A poor 2010-11 season would push them towards the brink of relegation for the first time.
"I`m conscious that it`s a risk to take charge in these conditions, but first I want to face these five matches (left in the Clausura) in which we have to improve and make the most of the time to evaluate the squad," Cappa said.
"River have good players but it`s imperative that we reverse this situation. River cannot resign themselves to being in the bottom places (in the table) because they are sufficiently great to be in the leading positions and count on a quality squad."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah