Caravaggio bones found in Italian church
London: Italian researchers have come across bones of a human in a Tuscany church that they believe mostly belong to Renaissance artist Caravaggio.
The remains were found in an ossuary in a church crypt in Porto Ercole and the researchers used DNA and carbon dating for their findings, claimed reports.
Caravaggio was known for his "chiaroscuro" painting technique. The method, in which light and shadow are sharply contrasted, revolutionised painting.
The cause of his death had been a mystery, with various theories put forward, including that he was assassinated for religious reasons, and that he collapsed with malaria on a deserted beach. Some have said he was on his way to Rome to seek a pardon when he died.
The findings come after a year’s investigation using DNA, carbon dating and other analysis. The remains are believed to have lain originally in an unmarked grave among around 200 others at the church cemetery, until they were exhumed in 1956 and placed in the ossuary.
Caravaggio was born in either 1571 or 1573, according to varying scholars, and spent the last few years of his life fleeing justice in southern Italy. He was famed for his wild lifestyle, including starting fights and ending up in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read