Carrier Emirates mulls Spain soccer sponsorship - CEO
Dubai: Dubai government-owned air carrier Emirates is considering a sports sponsorship deal in Spain after the success of deals with several major European soccer teams, its CEO said on Wednesday.
"We have sponsored all the way to New Zealand, Australia, the Far East, Europe and America," Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum told a small group of reporters during an international sports conference.
"This year we will be flying to Spain so you may see us there (with a sponsorship deal)," he said, after listing the soccer teams the company is already sponsoring, which include Italy`s AC Milan, Germany`s Hamburg SV and France`s Paris St Germain.
Asked by Reuters whether a potential soccer deal would involve a club from the capital Madrid, with both La Liga clubs Real and Atletico based there, or Barcelona, he did not want to specify.
"Up to now we have more been in the capitals," said Sheikh Ahmed with a smile. "Like London, Paris."
"Soccer is the most expensive sponsorship...but we are also in sailing and in cricket," he said, adding that both the Arsenal deal and the former sponsorship of Premier League leaders Chelsea had been fruitful for the airline.
"I will not say which one was better. But for us they were both very good," he said.
Emirates, also a sponsor of this summer`s soccer World Cup, has grown to be the world`s 10th-largest airline by scheduled passenger-kilometres flown, according to IATA.
The carrier, which started in 1985 with two planes, has grown to rival airlines such as Qantas Airways and Singapore Airlines for passenger traffic between Europe and East Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh