Car`s front seats safer than back seats
Sydney: Front seats are safer than rear seats in a car, thanks to the addition of new safety features over the years.
"We could save more lives and prevent more injuries if we paid the same attention to the rear seat of cars as we have to the front seat," says University of New South Wales associate professor Lynne Bilston, who led the study.
Previous studies in older cars have shown that occupants sitting in the back seat were at lower risk of serious injury and death in crashes, says Bilston.
"However, since the mid-1990s, front seats have improved enormously with airbags and better seatbelt designs in the front driver and passenger positions," she says, according to a New South Wales release.
These safety features are often overlooked in case of the rear seat, even in newer cars, meaning the front seat is now relatively safer than the rear seat for adult passengers.
While all adults in newer cars are relatively safer in the front seat, the effect is greater for older adults.
Bilston and colleagues compared the risk of injury to front and rear seat occupants in cars made between 1990 and 1996 with those travelling in newer cars.
They found that while newer cars are safer than older cars, significant reductions in head, thoracic and abdominal injuries were only seen in front seat occupants.
There are currently no regulations on how cars should be designed to protect rear seat occupants, Bilston says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH