Caruana`s loss at AAI Chess
New Delhi: Czech Republic`s national champion Viktor Laznicka ended Fabiano Caruana`s unbeaten run to give India`s Krishnan Sasikiran an outside chance to top the table in the AAI Grandmasters Chess tournament on Friday.
Sasikiran played out a draw with teammate Parimarjan Negi moments before Laznicka stunned Caruana in the ninth and penultimate round of the tournament.
In the final game, Wesley So and Hou Yifan drew in 47 moves of a Catalan.
Sasikiran`s draw took him to 5.5 points after a painful start that saw him lose the first two games. He has not lost thereafter and had four wins and three draws.
With Caruana at 6.5 points, Sasikiran has a chance but for that, he needs to beat Hou and hope Caruana loses to Wesley So in the final round on Saturday.
"After the kind of a start I had this has been a good recovery," said Sasikiran.
"In today`s game against Negi I had a slight advantage but could not find a way for a win. A win in the final round would be a nice way to round of the tournament and it will also help my rating," he added.
Negi`s game against Sasikiran ended in a 48-move draw in the Anti-Meran.
"It has not been a very good tournament for me. I am trying to use these last few games as training for my future events. I hope I will be able to take some lessons from this event," said Negi, who will represent India at the World Team Chess this month in China besides the World Cup in Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly