Caruana`s loss at AAI Chess
New Delhi: Czech Republic`s national champion Viktor Laznicka ended Fabiano Caruana`s unbeaten run to give India`s Krishnan Sasikiran an outside chance to top the table in the AAI Grandmasters Chess tournament on Friday.
Sasikiran played out a draw with teammate Parimarjan Negi moments before Laznicka stunned Caruana in the ninth and penultimate round of the tournament.
In the final game, Wesley So and Hou Yifan drew in 47 moves of a Catalan.
Sasikiran`s draw took him to 5.5 points after a painful start that saw him lose the first two games. He has not lost thereafter and had four wins and three draws.
With Caruana at 6.5 points, Sasikiran has a chance but for that, he needs to beat Hou and hope Caruana loses to Wesley So in the final round on Saturday.
"After the kind of a start I had this has been a good recovery," said Sasikiran.
"In today`s game against Negi I had a slight advantage but could not find a way for a win. A win in the final round would be a nice way to round of the tournament and it will also help my rating," he added.
Negi`s game against Sasikiran ended in a 48-move draw in the Anti-Meran.
"It has not been a very good tournament for me. I am trying to use these last few games as training for my future events. I hope I will be able to take some lessons from this event," said Negi, who will represent India at the World Team Chess this month in China besides the World Cup in Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video