CAS rejects Mutu appeal against Chelsea damages
London: Romania striker Adrian Mutu has failed in his bid to overturn an order to pay Chelsea 17.17 million euros (USD 24.2 million) in damages after his appeal was dismissed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Friday.
Now playing for Fiorentina in Italy, Mutu was fired by the English club five years ago following a positive test for cocaine and was instructed to pay the sum by FIFA last year but took his case to sport`s highest tribunal.
"The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has today dismissed the appeal filed by the Romanian football player, Adrian Mutu, against the decision rendered by the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) on 7 May 2008 in which he was ordered to pay 17,173,990 euros in compensation... for breach of contract," CAS said in a statement on Friday.
Mutu last year described the decision as inhumane and said his offence did not justify such a huge sum.
The Romanian Players Union added that if an English player had committed the same offence, he would only have been fired but would not have had to pay any damages.
It was the third time the case had come before the Lausanne-based court.
In 2005, CAS confirmed a Premier League Appeals Committee decision which ruled that Mutu, by testing positive for cocaine, had breached his employment contract without just cause.
Two years ago, the Lausanne-based court set aside a decision by FIFA`s DRC, which had said it did not have jurisdiction over the case, and referred the matter back.
Last year, the DRC issued its decision, leading to Mutu`s appeal.
Chelsea terminated Mutu`s contract in Oct. 2004, one year after joining them from Parma, but the 30-year-old has since rebuilt his career at Juventus, after serving a seven-month ban for the cocaine offence, and Fiorentina.
Mutu, who previously played for Dinamo Bucharest, Inter Milan and Verona, played for Romania in last year`s Euro 2008 championship, scoring their only goal of the tournament in a 1-1 draw against world champions Italy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive