Cavendish back on favourable terrain in Tour
Aurillac: Sprinter Mark Cavendish has two days before the Pyrenees to score points in his quest for the Tour de France green jersey but Tuesday`s 158-kms 10th stage to Carmaux could also favour main rival Philippe Gilbert.
The Briton has won two stages in this year`s Tour compared to Gilbert`s one but even Cavendish`s main adviser Erik Zabel believes victory for the Manxman in the points classification is doubtful.
"This year Mark is much more focussed to go for green but unfortunately this year in the first nine stages there were just two-and-a-half stages which fit him perfectly," the former German sprinter, six times winner of the green jersey, told reporters.
"All these uphill sprint finishes are much better for Gilbert. Logically, the green jersey is now his."
Tuesday`s stage is short but contains four hills. Riders, who enjoyed Monday`s first rest day, will be hoping for an uneventful journey after the crash carnage which marred Sunday`s ninth stage to St Flour.
Cavendish, who has now won 17 Tour stages over four years, will probably be more at ease on Wednesday`s totally flat ride.
"He`s still young. I won my first green jersey when I was 26 and then I won six in a row, so don`t panic," Zabel said of the 26-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more