CBI court issues notice to Jaya in gift case
Chennai: A CBI court on Thursday issued notice to
former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and two former
AIADMK ministers on a petition by the investigating agency,
seeking a date to be fixed for framing charges against them in
the Rs two crore `Birthday Gift Case`.
Besides Jayalalithaa, Judge Mohammad Issat Ali also
issued notice to K A Sengottaiyan and Alugu Thirunavukarasu
and posted the petition for hearing to September four.
The CBI accused Jayalalithaa, Sengottaiyan and
Thirunavukarasu of adopting `dilatory tactics` by filing one
petition after another to stall the proceedings.
According to the CBI, Jayalalithaa had accepted 89 Demand
Drafts worth Rs two crore drawn in her favour as gifts on her
birthday in 1992 from 57 persons. Twelve names were found to
be fictitious, 12 others denied they had purchased DDs while
33 confirmed purchase and presentation of DDs to Jayalalithaa.
The agency claimed that Sengottaiyan and Thirunavukarasu
had presented their leader with DDs for Rs 22.53 lakh and Rs
22.50 lakh respectively, thereby abetting her to accept the
amount without consideration.
Meanwhile, Sengottaiyan today filed a petition, seeking
that he be discharged from the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS