CBI court issues notice to Jaya in gift case
Chennai: A CBI court on Thursday issued notice to
former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and two former
AIADMK ministers on a petition by the investigating agency,
seeking a date to be fixed for framing charges against them in
the Rs two crore `Birthday Gift Case`.
Besides Jayalalithaa, Judge Mohammad Issat Ali also
issued notice to K A Sengottaiyan and Alugu Thirunavukarasu
and posted the petition for hearing to September four.
The CBI accused Jayalalithaa, Sengottaiyan and
Thirunavukarasu of adopting `dilatory tactics` by filing one
petition after another to stall the proceedings.
According to the CBI, Jayalalithaa had accepted 89 Demand
Drafts worth Rs two crore drawn in her favour as gifts on her
birthday in 1992 from 57 persons. Twelve names were found to
be fictitious, 12 others denied they had purchased DDs while
33 confirmed purchase and presentation of DDs to Jayalalithaa.
The agency claimed that Sengottaiyan and Thirunavukarasu
had presented their leader with DDs for Rs 22.53 lakh and Rs
22.50 lakh respectively, thereby abetting her to accept the
amount without consideration.
Meanwhile, Sengottaiyan today filed a petition, seeking
that he be discharged from the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?