Celebrations after Hazare accord with government
New Delhi: Celebrations broke out tonight at
Jantar Mantar, the nerve-centre of the Lokpal Bill protest led
by Anna Hazare, after the government brokered an agreement
with Hazare-led anti-corruption activists on the issue.
Dancing to the beating drums and singing of patriotic
songs, hundreds of people erupted in euphoria as Hazare
announced that he will end his fast-unto-death protest
tomorrow morning after reaching an agreement.
The venue of Hazare`s hunger strike resonated with `Anna
Hazare Zindabad`, `Bharat Mata ki Jai`, `Vande Mataram` and
`Inquilab Zindabad` slogans as anti-corruption activists waved
"This is a great victory. The government has bowed before
the might of the public," said Manish Sharma, a DU student who
was at the protest site for the past four days. (
India`s first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi, who was
part of the negotiating team, said "it is a victory of the
people of India, a bigger victory than the cricket World Cup".
Magsaysay award winner Arvind Kejriwal, a key member
of Hazare`s supporting group, said "all the nitty-gritties of
the anti-corruption law drafting committee and all the
decisions related to it will be brought before the public when
"we draft the bill".
"If government makes any hanky-panky (gadhbadh) again,
then we will again come to Jantar Mantar. The fight has just
begun. The bill will come to Parliament and we know it is not
full of good people (hum jante hai Parliament mein bhale log
nahi hai)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days