Centre likely to announce bonus over MSP for paddy
New Delhi: The government may announce a
bonus over and above the the minimum price paid to paddy farmers for the next season starting October.
In his meeting with a delegation of Akali Dal and
BJP MPs and MLAs from Punjab, led by state Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal, Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said the government would definitely do something to give relief to paddy farmers.
Pawar said he was aware of rising cost of production
due to drought and the mater of giving incentive would be
seriously looked into at the time of procurement of paddy.
The Centre on August 20 increased the minimum support
price for 2009-10 season to Rs 950 per quintal for average
quality, and to Rs 980 per quintal for higher grade.
In 2008-09, the government procured paddy at Rs 900 per
quintal for fair average quality and at Rs 930 for higher
grade. This included the bonus of Rs 50 per quintal over and
above the MSP.
The delegation demanded that the Centre release Rs 3,000
crore to revamp the canals in Punjab to increase the crop
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note